Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ram Truck Chat (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   EGR solenoid circuit open or short ???? (http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73722)

cageman 07-31-2003 07:33 PM

EGR solenoid circuit open or short ????

95 Ram 318 manual trans.
My truck dies out when I coast to a stop, only once and a while. Check engine light came on also.
I hooked it up to a snap on scanner that my buddy has and it said 32 EGR solenoid circuit open or short. Is that the problem and how and where do I fix it, looking at the diagram on the rad support it shows it is back by the distributor.
What am I looking for and what is there to change or test.
Thanks

HankL 08-01-2003 07:42 AM

There are two parts to the system - the EGR valve that is bolted on in the very rear, and an 'EGR Modulating Valve' that is attached to the EGR valve with two hoses. If the wiring connection to the EGR modulating valve is lost, then the EGR valve is turned on all the time, and this could cause your stalling at idle.

If you have a code set, examine all the wiring first for loose connections or broken wires inside insulation. Also look for holes in the hoses or just 'rubber rot.'

Other things that can go wrong are a build up of carbon desposits that plugs a passage {unlikely in your case because your are getting enough exhaust gas to cause the stall} and the seat of the EGR pintle valve wearing so much that EGR leaks by all the time.

Dodge sell only the EGR valve and the Modulating Valve as a boxed kit that costs about $130.

cageman 08-05-2003 03:20 PM

Thanks, Ill check into it, Im sick of driving my 70 everyday.

J-BODY 08-06-2003 12:37 AM

First of all does the code set and turn the light on at every key cycle? With the sbec controller on the 95 that code would reset every time if the problem were intermittant so the light would stay out unless a fault was detected again. Dying coming up to a stop sounds more along the line of dirty throttle body or an AIS motor (IAC, whatever you prefer to call it) that is going out. I had the egr solenoid circuit code for years on my 95, but it would only turn the light on maybe twice a year and never caused any drivability issues. Since it's cheaper to clean your throttle body you may want to start there.

HankL 08-06-2003 07:17 AM

Good point J Body.

When my 2nd catalytic converter plugged, the excessive backpressure blew out the diaphram in the EGR modulating valve. When this happened the check engine light would come and go until I got it fixed, confirming that it resets.

One of these days I should run a MPG test with and without the EGR.

XxRAMxX 08-06-2003 02:02 PM

HankL, your post has me wondering if my cat is starting to get plugged up. My MIL light lights up every now and then... usually after passing someone on the highway on longer trips. It trips a code 32 (EGR)... This would be consistant with the exsessive back pressure idea. I have had my cat replaced but that was quite a long time ago. I kinda feel like the performance is going as well but that could all be in my mind. I'll have to take it to the exhaust guys to see if it is plugged. I think the cat is still under warrantee.

HankL 08-06-2003 02:44 PM

XxRamxX check your rubber diaphram inside the EGR modulating valve. It may have burst when the old plugged cat was still on your truck.

It is also possible that carbon deposits in the metal tube that runs from exhaust manifold to EGR valve have plugged off the exhaust gas. This could also happen in the aluminum passageway inside the intake manifold.

XxRAMxX 08-06-2003 05:51 PM

Well, I know the EGR valve was replaced once... can't remember right now if it was before or after the cat. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to check my records later.

J-BODY 08-06-2003 11:50 PM

Keep in mind that the code for "egr solenoid circuit" will only apply to the electrical portion of the system. The pcm will not know if the vacuum transducer is melted, diaphragm blown, tube plugged. It will only know if there is a prob with the wiring, or windings in the transducer.

Hank, that interesting on the cat going bad making the transducers melt. I've replaced many over the years and really never thought about a plugged cat creating enough back pressure to cause that. I pretty much blamed it on egr valves sticking open allowing the exhaust through too much thus the damage.

cageman 08-09-2003 11:36 PM

Well, I went on a trip this past week and I went 398 miles on a tank and I filled today and the thing took 21 gallons, I could not beleive it, that is almost 19 mpg's, I have never came close to that, I wonder if the check engine light and the fact the interstate went up 5 mph to 75 had anything to do with it. The light comes on every time I start it, and I dont see any loss of power.
I still dont beleive the milage I got, so I guess I will see this week when I go home again.
Thanks.