Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Inactive User

I hope you are under care right now. This has to be fixed right now. First guess on blood loss would be the hip/leg, since that's the most recent history of surgery. An artery might have been nicked from the fall or the surgical procedure. The leak might have gotten worse with time, as pressure slowly enlarged an opening. We're pulling for you.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 AM

Yep...camp out on that Dr's doorstep and tell him how you would fix a brake line...
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM

I trust you got this sorted...

Sorry, with my heavy travel schedule I haven't looked at this forum for weeks. This is a real blow to me... I was looking forward to taking you up Pikes Peak in the van.

Now I will just have to post a bunch of photos I take on my trip up there, which will be either Sunday or Monday next.

The van has now covered 12,000 miles since I started driving it on May 16.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Sounds like a great trip Ray....looking forward to the pics
Old 07-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Definitely a great trip...

I've already been through or into 33 states, eight provinces of Canada, refuelled the van several times and taken lots of pictures.

Tomorrow I leave Indiana bound for Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado. They're the only contiguous states I've not been into between this trip and the last trip. Then I head back up through Utah and Idaho to Spokane WA, change vehicles, return via Oregon to the Bonneville Salt Flats, then cross Nevada to California and start thinking about going home.

I fly out on July 15...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 AM

I flew over the salt flats once on the way to Vegas... always wanted to go back for speed week. Guess you'll be too early in the season for that. Sounds like you've done a lot of driving.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 AM

That's right, too early for Speed Week...

But the Utah club are having a test and tune day and have a lot of quality cars entered.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

That's bad news to hear. I'm sorry you have had so many health issues. Ray visited with us here in Omaha before he headed to Pikes Peak. He did get up there.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 AM

lol.... he didn't load up that van with 8 3/4's this time did he? Who's who in the pic? I was laughing when I opened the first one. This has got to be the only site where you would take a pic of people getting together, and post a pic of an old Dodge van first!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Not the van, but the pickup...

Actually, some stuff did get into the van, but it was transferred to the pickup which I have in Long Beach ready to ship.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

If any interest I put a set of "J" heads in my car with a 318 and it did a lot for it by way of acceleration over the stock '73 heads it had on it.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Hey Guys! I'm still quite the mess. My hip hasn't healed, which I think is due to the radiation it received. The screw that pinned the rod down by the knee has broken. I'm glad to see that Ray had a good trip. I really hated not being able to go with him! The Javelin is over at the painters still, and I doubt it will get touched till late fall.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Inactive User

David,
Very glad to hear from you. Was having bad thoughts from not hearing from you. But you are having more than your share of bad fortune. We are all pulling for you to beat this thing once and for all. Your work on the Javelin establishes you as a real artist. So you have to keep going.
Sorry you couldn't make the Pike's Peak trip, but you have bigger mountains to climb. Once you're all recovered, then you can check out Pike's Peak.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Just to show it really will be worth it when you finally get there, David... here are a few shots I took up there:

There was one scene I would have loved to have captured on the way up... this one will give you the idea:

But to get the whole picture I'll have to explain... driving up, looking across the dash and across the rim of the road, there was just blue sky and the tops of the clouds. Fantastic!

In this one you can see the curvature of the earth, or I think so:

The whole thing was just great. With one exception.

I loved the views, the spectacular ability to look down on the Rocky Mountains around us, to be so high and to be able to see hundreds of miles into the distance (except that the haze made it a bit... well, hazy), I wanted souvenirs celebrating those views. I went to the souvenir shop...

There was stacks of stuff about the cog railroad, about the road, about the woman who went there and wrote the song, even a bit about the hillclimb. But the views? Virtually nothing!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Those are some great shots Ray. Hope things start getting better for you soon David.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Reminds me of Sandia Peak. It's not quite as high (only a little over 10,000), but the view is almost as good on a clear day. Those are some real good pictures Ray, wish I could've been there. My hip is healing rather slow, but it's not bothering too much any more. Now we've come fully circle, as I'm getting real sharp pains in my lower back where the cancer started. I have a MRI tomorrow just to see whats going on as my cancer marker numbers have been going down thankfully. The Javelin is sitting tore apart in the painters backyard. There are two more cars in front of it. I'm thinking next spring maybe.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

you guys are going to laugh at me as I picked up another car......A Vega! No it doesn't have the original engine! It's got a 87' Chebby 2.8 and is fuel injected. I helped my friend stuff the little V-6 in it almost twenty years ago. He drove it for a while and then he got into sail boats. Well I've been after him to turn loose of it before it becomes a permanent part of the yard! While I love my truck, I cant afford to drive it. I'm driving my 77 Skylark in the meantime. Ray has seen it. Hope all is well with all of you! I still don't have any answers from my mri, hope to here real soon....
Old 09-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Inactive User

Considering everything, you're allowed a minor violation of mopar love. Good luck with the Vega. Those 2.8's don't have much power but they run, and that's all you need. I remember that guys used to stuff 350's in S10 blazers to replace the gutless 2.8. I know you don't need another project, so I won't tell you it might be possible to squeeze a 350 in there. Good luck with everything.
Looking forward to hearing you're healing enough to finish the Javelin.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Oh it's totally possible. Back in the day there was a shop called Motion Performance that sold turnkey versions of the V-8 Vega complete with 12 bolt rearends (pretty much a necessity). A more streetable version for mileage would be a 2 bl 283/Powerglide or the early Buick aluminum V-8 that they ended up putting in Landrovers I think it was. The Buick's were much lighter on the front suspension and very durable. lol... you're going to end up with a cow pasture full of projects like me pretty soon!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

Yea I have my buddies wanting to stick a 350 in it! I tell them sure go right ahead, there's only one small thing, you pay for the gas! I have a Buick 3.8 that will almost bolt in in case I need more power.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Inactive User

The 3.8 would be nice. Pretty tough to get a hemi in there.
I seem to remember that there was a Cosworth head for the Vega engine. I do remember that the heavy part of the Vega engine was the head. The block was aluminum, but the engine had so much vibration they had to use an iron head to damp out some of that vibration.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 PM

That Cosworth engine in the Vega was Gm's first unsuccessful attempt at copying the cross flow designs of the Indy Offenhauser engines. They mixed alloys and they were burning oil before they had 40k on them... seems to me it reacted with the antifreeze too. The only way to get them to last was to sleeve the cylinders. The only good thing to be said about the Vega was that it was so easy to replace it's original power train. Even big blocks found their way in there for Pro Stock, but Hemi's got into Colts about then too, so almost anything was possible. Just think of the Vega as a spare tire for the Rambler... something you can stuff in the trunk and get home with if the 360 calves some day...
Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 AM
Inactive User

The Cosworth engine was way different from the stock Vega junk engine. If I remember right it was a dual overhead cam set up. Well we'll see how well the 2.8 does. It is a large journal 2.8 which is a lot better than the earlier 2.8 which was junk! Going to try and bring it home this Saturday. I still have no news about my back. All I got told was that I have compression fractures in my lower back. I want to tell them, No Shit! I've know that for 15 years! I made them go back and compare my earlier MRI films with the one we just did! I just don't understand just how these people get a job!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 PM

Put them to work wet sanding the Javelin... they'll learn.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Inactive User

I think it was Harry Truman who said you have to know history. The docs seem to forget history. And then, even if you remind them you had the compression fractures 15 years ago, they ignore you. And then they devise treatment for the compression fractures. I think they would never make it as auto techs.
I believe gm did finally figure out the aluminum cylinders, but too late for the vega.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Yea...the 2nd attempt to copy the Offenhauser came with the Quad 4... still some minor issues but far more successful than the Cosworth.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Inactive User

Hi guys, I'll be seeing my doc this week, and hope to get some answers then. Started on the Vega, just minor stuff. Pulled the carpet and the seats. Been busy making seat brackets for the junkyard buckets that are going in it. Cleaned up the engine bay a bit. The T-5 probably will be next. It depends on when the Javelin gets it turn in the driveway for paint. Came across a really pretty silvery light blue that will go on the car. I even scored paint for the Vega, so I can't complain. I have such great friends that are doing about 95% of the work while I'm trying real hard at getting in their way!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 AM

Maybe we'll drive the Vega up Pikes Peak next time I come over?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Silvery light blue on the Vega sounds good... might need some black stripes or graphics to break it up. I can see it sliding sideways up Pikes Peak now.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

The light blue is for the Javelin, the Vega will be Silver. Finished with the seats today. My friend Bill wants to go over the car real good to make sure I won't have any trouble on the road. I'm still fighting with my back, and it's still not listening! We'll see what my doctor has to say....