Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: will it fit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rdrunner72
This is for Godzilla,

Looks like you've got an aluminum manifold of some sort, so I've got a clearence question.

I've got a 72 Roadrunner 440, that I'm working on. I am the original and only owner so it was stock, stock, stock. Came with air conditioning, which I want to keep as it get's hot here in Louisiana.

I've put a Edelbrock Performer, Holley Street Avenger, and the MoPar performance air cleaner on it. (engine is out of car now)

I did the measuring thing and it is 1 1/2 inches taller than stock, measured from the flat area of the intake manifold gasket.

Trying to figure out if I'm going to have hood clearence problems.

I have the Edlebrock Performer on mine. With my original dual snorkle breather the only problem I had was the snorkle on the passenger side, it was rubbing one of the under hood braces. I now have a 14" chrome drop base Edlebrock breather with a 2 1/4" K&N filter and no problems at all now. Your breather/filter combo looks like it might contact the hood. Check it by putting a peice of clay or putty on the front edge of the top of the breather and slowly lower the hood, if it's too close it will flaten the clay before the hood gets fully closed.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Re: will it fit?

Quote:
Originally posted by 71RR
I have the Edlebrock Performer on mine. With my original dual snorkle breather the only problem I had was the snorkle on the passenger side, it was rubbing one of the under hood braces. I now have a 14" chrome drop base Edlebrock breather with a 2 1/4" K&N filter and no problems at all now. Your breather/filter combo looks like it might contact the hood. Check it by putting a peice of clay or putty on the front edge of the top of the breather and slowly lower the hood, if it's too close it will flaten the clay before the hood gets fully closed.
Thanks for the info. Was the underhood brace you're talking about the ones that run from the cowl to the fenders, or the ones that are a part of the hood?

The breather (air cleaner) I have is the MP black crinkle finish one. It's 3 1/2 inches high, measured from where it sits on the carb air horn ring. The filter itself is 2 3/4 inches.

I may look into the Edelbrock drop base breather you have. That might make a difference. Also it sounds like the K&N filter is a half inch shorter. (Personally I'd rather use a K&N filter!)

I tried the stock dual snorkel air cleaner, but it interfers with the top of the float adjusting screws on the carb, which has the center hung floats. The other problem with the stock air cleaner is that I've also installed the MP aluminum valve covers and they interfer with the heated air inlet on the bottom of the driver side snorkel I don't want to cut or modify the stock unit as I want to keep the original stuff intact in case I want to start showing the car.

It will be while before I can do the clay thing as the car has the front end stripped down to be cleaned and painted. The only thing forward of the firewall is the frame, inner fender panels, and the radiator frame, all of which are welded together. The K frame, all suspension, fenders and entire front end has been removed for cleaning, painting and powdercoating.

Thanks for all the info...
Old 01-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Vernmotor..That coronet Is Sweeeettt!!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

This is my new car just got it last week. not much to look at But give me some time and it will be a bad boy. 340 for power 727 trans an a dana 60 w/ 4.56 gears. the 340 is not stock . 11.90s in my old dart. it is an 80 dodge Mirada w/ t-tops . just go to my web site a see it . you we see my old dart and my old truck too.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Abuse
Vernmotor..That coronet Is Sweeeettt!!
Thanks wish it was as fast as yours !
Old 01-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Re: Re: will it fit?

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Was the underhood brace you're talking about the ones that run from the cowl to the fenders, or the ones that are a part of the hood?

The breather (air cleaner) I have is the MP black crinkle finish one. It's 3 1/2 inches high, measured from where it sits on the carb air horn ring. The filter itself is 2 3/4 inches.

I may look into the Edelbrock drop base breather you have. That might make a difference. Also it sounds like the K&N filter is a half inch shorter. (Personally I'd rather use a K&N filter!)

I tried the stock dual snorkel air cleaner, but it interfers with the top of the float adjusting screws on the carb, which has the center hung floats. The other problem with the stock air cleaner is that I've also installed the MP aluminum valve covers and they interfer with the heated air inlet on the bottom of the driver side snorkel I don't want to cut or modify the stock unit as I want to keep the original stuff intact in case I want to start showing the car.

It will be while before I can do the clay thing as the car has the front end stripped down to be cleaned and painted. The only thing forward of the firewall is the frame, inner fender panels, and the radiator frame, all of which are welded together. The K frame, all suspension, fenders and entire front end has been removed for cleaning, painting and powdercoating.

Thanks for all the info...

The ones that are part of the hood are the ones that I was refering to.

You can get a K&N filter in just about any height and size you could ever want. If your breather is to high for your hood you can always use a shorter filter to lower it's overall height, but if it is still a problem then you will need to get a drop base breather. If you want unlimited flow you can get the K&N X-treme air filter lid, it's a nice peice but it's expensive.

Here is a more current pic of mine taken last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71plymouthroadrunner014.jpg (42.1 KB, 213 views)
Old 01-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

Default 69 Runner

Hello there! Here some MoPargreetzz all the way from the Netherlands, Europe!! You can find some nice pics of our cars on www.deadendcruisers.com; also a lot of pics of HotRods, bikes, lowriders, movies taken on BonneVille Speedweek!
Marc
Old 01-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

71 RR,

Nice looking motor. I see you too have the MoPar performance valve covers. I had a bitch of a time sealing them. Kept getting an oil leak on the front bottom corner. Finally went to a cork gasket (guy in the local club said that was the way to go) and solved the problem! I used studs for all but the bottom two mounting holes, and used allen bolts here. For some reason Chrysler lines the valve cover mounting holes up with some street in Detroit, or something like that! Couldn't get a decent wrench grip on the hex head bolts unless I used a thin wall universal joint socket. The allen bolts work great with my T-handle allen wrench!

For the 4 studs on each one, I used whiz nuts as it elimnates the washer. The stock bolts have captive washers on them.

All in all this project has been a real learing experience! But I'm having fun, which is what life is all about.

See you're a Buckeye from Columbus. I grew up next door in Indiana but went to the REAL Indiana university, Purdue! Yeah, yeah, I know, a Boilermaker....quick go lock up the sheep!

The attache pix shows it all! (Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Brickyard 400, 2000!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiss and make up!.jpg (16.8 KB, 236 views)
Old 01-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Heres mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fallon_dart.jpg (18.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Default 3 Mean Machines

My dad's car is a 1970 440+6 GTX. It is one mean machine!! Luckly, we have only got one ticket (for doing a wholeshot out of the local park). Currently, we are repainting it. It will be the same color, but with a performance hood stripe. The 440 is slightly "tweaked". It is backed by a 4-speed.

My car is a 1976 Cordoba powered by a built 400 in front of a 727 Torqueflight. This too, is one mean machine.

My dad's daily driver is an '84 Ram with a mildly built 360.

The website says that my dad's GTX puts out over 450 horses, that's a typo. It should say over 400 horses.

Here's the Site: Mopar or Nocar
Old 01-21-2004, 04:16 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
71 RR,

Nice looking motor. I see you too have the MoPar performance valve covers. I had a bitch of a time sealing them. Kept getting an oil leak on the front bottom corner. Finally went to a cork gasket (guy in the local club said that was the way to go) and solved the problem! I used studs for all but the bottom two mounting holes, and used allen bolts here. For some reason Chrysler lines the valve cover mounting holes up with some street in Detroit, or something like that! Couldn't get a decent wrench grip on the hex head bolts unless I used a thin wall universal joint socket. The allen bolts work great with my T-handle allen wrench!

For the 4 studs on each one, I used whiz nuts as it elimnates the washer. The stock bolts have captive washers on them.

All in all this project has been a real learing experience! But I'm having fun, which is what life is all about.

See you're a Buckeye from Columbus. I grew up next door in Indiana but went to the REAL Indiana university, Purdue! Yeah, yeah, I know, a Boilermaker....quick go lock up the sheep!

The attache pix shows it all! (Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Brickyard 400, 2000!)

My valve cover sealed up just fine, it was the way to short bolts that I had a problem with. I just went to the hardware store and got longer ones. Then the only problem was the one by the brake boost, couldn't get anything on that whore.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
My valve cover sealed up just fine, it was the way to short bolts that I had a problem with. I just went to the hardware store and got longer ones. Then the only problem was the one by the brake boost, couldn't get anything on that whore.
Did you use rubber or cork gasktes? And did you put any sealant on them?

I had my enging on a stand, which made the front end lower. I primed the oil system, and rotated the crank to oil up the rocker shafts/arms. This put a lot of oil on top of the heads. With the engine front lower, the residual oil ran down to the lower front corner, which is were it leaked out. I had torqued the bolts down to the specified value, using a rubber gasket with no sealant.

I'm beginning to think there was something I must be missing if you didn't have any problem.

As for not getting to the bolt by the brake booster, I'll have to look for that problem when I put the motor in the car. On that corner (next to #8) I have a stud and a whiz nut.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: dstryr

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ 440R/T
Dstryr: Here is an awesome launch from either a Super Bee or Roadrunner I always get mixed up I think it's a '68 Superbee. I know it has a Six-Pak under that hood.........Still, Looks like a Runner though

http://www.waynesmoparrestorations.5...om/main6pk.jpg
Hmmmm... That picture looks fake to me. It looks like the photo's been taken while the car is standing still, then edited. I can't swear on it but it's a couple of things that makes me wonder:

1: The car is completely sharp. If it was accelerating (and doing a wheelie) it would be a bit blurred, even if it's a pro photographer/camera.

2: The undercarriage is too dark. When doing a wheelie, some light would slip under the car, and the undercarriage wouldn't be pitch black.

3: The shadow under the car doesn't look natural.

4: The smoke from the rear wheels doesn't look natural.

5: The reflection on the car's left side indicates that the picture is taken when the car is horizontal. Otherwise there must be a very steep slope to the left of the car. This doesn't seem likely since there is a reflection of a house, the house would be tilted then.

But it's at fun picture anyway

Here are 2 pics of my Challenger '74:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Engine: 446, TRW pistons, Crane hi intensity lifters, Crane cam, Competition Cams rocker arms, chrome moly push rods, Edelbrock performer heads, Weiand intake, Demon carburetor, MSD ignition system.

Transmission: 727 rebuilt for manual shifting (hemi turbine according to previous owner), B&M shifter (soon)

Rearend: 8,75 w limited slip diff and 3,90:1

Body: Vinyl roof, Rallye (R/T) hood, Rallye air extractors, Volkswagen (don't tell anyone) metallic blue

Wheels: Cragar Superlite w BFG

Interior: Bright Blue, Rallye instruments + 5" Autometer tachometer
Old 01-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

Well done Mr Clueso, well done!! LMAO!!
Didn't think about fake just thought it was your normal Mopar launch, but now you mentioned it it does seem weird. That house was well spotted mate!

Your car sounds bloody mean. I'm pretty sure you were the guy taking some weird angles on your new digital camera a while back
Do you have some photo's of your interior? I have B5 blue as well but I'm converting from Bench/Column to Bucket/Console and wouldn't mind seeing what it will look like.

Just curious why B&M? Hurst seems to be the go for after market shifters, there's a pole on the home page and Hurst is cleaning up! I've been discussing after market shifters for ages but in the end decided to go for the Slap-stik. I'm going to add a Tilt Pistol-Grip shifter for a little spice, no button you just simply give it a decent push down to engage gears

Cheers,
Carl

Here is the photo of how my Slap-stik will look http://www.moparchat.com/forums/atta...&postid=478436
Old 01-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Inactive User

I can take some photos of the interior this weekend and post here (or e-mail to you) if you want.

I ordered the B&M shifter since the guy at "my" speed shop recommended it. He had installed one in his Road Runner, and was very pleased with it. I THINK it was one of these http://www.bmracing.com/products/shf.../proStick.html I ordered, not sure though.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Inactive User

Looks good I hope for your sake it preforms for you, kind-a-like the Hurst quarter stick
Sure mate that would be good either post them up here by calling me on the homepage, or shoot them through to my email dbdraught4me@hotmail.com Cheers mate
Old 01-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Did you use rubber or cork gasktes? And did you put any sealant on them?

I had my enging on a stand, which made the front end lower. I primed the oil system, and rotated the crank to oil up the rocker shafts/arms. This put a lot of oil on top of the heads. With the engine front lower, the residual oil ran down to the lower front corner, which is were it leaked out. I had torqued the bolts down to the specified value, using a rubber gasket with no sealant.

I'm beginning to think there was something I must be missing if you didn't have any problem.

As for not getting to the bolt by the brake booster, I'll have to look for that problem when I put the motor in the car. On that corner (next to #8) I have a stud and a whiz nut.
I used the really thick ones that came with the covers. No sealants just gaskets and tightened them like I normally would, by feel. I don't remember what their torque specs were, but I think they were on the loose side.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:30 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
I used the really thick ones that came with the covers. No sealants just gaskets and tightened them like I normally would, by feel. I don't remember what their torque specs were, but I think they were on the loose side.
Yeah, that's what I did too. Have no idea why they leaked. It might just have been the way the engine was sitting there and the amount of oil I had pumped up there (a lot!) and the fact it couldn't drain down like it would in the car.

I used studs because they make lining up the gasket and the valve covers real easy. Just drop them in place, and presto! there you are. I also used them on the six bolts that hold the intake manifold/cam valley cover/gasket in place. Again, makes alignment real easy.

I use the whiz nuts so you don't have washers to drop in all sorts of places, and they look spiffy.

Speaking of dropping washers, true story. I was using a bolt to align the intake gasket during set up, and dropped it. Naturally it went right in the distributor hole, bounced once, cleared the camshaft nicely, and the next thing I heard was the "clunk" as it hit the bottom of the oil pan. Freshly installed, and full of 6 quarts of oil! Gahhhh.... Naturally the bolt was too big to come out the drain plug hole, so had to take the pan off, destroying both gaskets (has the windage tray) plus the nice engine paint job, not to mention the messy job it was. Now I have a rag stuffed in the distributor hole. Closed that barn door after the horse had left!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the dropped bolt!.jpg (35.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 01-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Wow... can't believe I can finally get through to this site... work tends to block them because (I think) it sees the word "chat" in the name LOL

Here's mine... '69 GTX your basic big green bomb LOL

My GTX Corner
Old 01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Wink Here's My 67' Plymouth Belvedere II . . .

It's getting ready for a swap from the original 318 with 120,000 miles to a freshened 440. I'm looking very forward to getting my first big block !!!

By the way, everybody else's cars look great !!!

Mr. B

Old 01-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Mr B,

Tell you that's a nice looking car. If it's a stock and numbers matching, I'd think twice about altering it. Or at least if you do, keep the old motor.

My 72' Roadrunner is a "virgin" meaning it's only had one owner, me. I'm restoring it, but adding a few things, mostly to the engine. But I'm keeping the original stuff, i.e. manifolds, carb, valve covers, air cleaner and the like. That way if I ever want to show, or sell the car, all the original parts are still there.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Ok heres one of the Chicken- maybe I should consider changing the name to SR 71-blackbird. Nobody could get away when I was repo-ing cars in South Carolina. It's only gonna get better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pass2 (2).jpg (36.1 KB, 245 views)
Old 01-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

Awesome ride Road chicken,not much beats black when its clean---outstanding
Old 01-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, but keeping it clean has turned out to be the biggest task. That's OK it looks good and that car duster I bought makes it a whole lot easier.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Inactive User

Here is a photo of the 1970 Dodge Coronet Hemi I have just purchased. It is (1) of only (4) 1970 Hemi Coronets produced with the 4-speed. It is a matching numbers car with original paint and (2) build sheets. The 426 hemi engine was rebuilt by Dick Landy in 2000.
Nice to be on board.
Al Barlow
Thomaston, Maine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hemi 20.jpg (69.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 01-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

Hey mate welcome aboard. Love the car bud, who wouldn't
Old 01-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

Here's big yell'er do'in what it does best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ozzie5a.jpg (32.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 01-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Inactive User

G.O.Racing: love it mate! Awesome time to say the least on a small block carrying all steel.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Inactive User

I love to see all these other cars posted here. There are a lot of fantastic cars that lurk around this board. It's great to see cars that a person would not otherwise get a chance to see. Please keep them comming!
Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Ok, here is a picture of my friends '72 challenger with a 500" edelbrock motor and a 4-speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg darryl1.jpg (35.8 KB, 196 views)