Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 PM

Default Need help with 360 in RAM350 van

I drove this van about 14,400 miles a couple of years ago, I picked it up again a week ago and the day before yesterday I struck a problem...

After starting fine from cold in the morning I made a stop after a mile or two, the thing wouldn't start again. Bear in mind that the auto choke is always on in this thing for some reason (yeah, it chews gas), but it's never done this before.

I was, fortuitously, parked on a big hill and I rolled down that churning it over and finally it went. No further problems all day. None.

Today it started fine, I drove a mile and a half and got fuel. It wouldn't start!

In the end I wired the choke open to get it going having tried a lot of other things over an hour or more. But as soon as I started driving I got backfiring through the carby.

I drove on, this persisted, I wasn't in a position to do anything but drive (long distances between towns) and finally I pulled into a town and did the rounds of workshops who might have some carby knowledge. None can look at it for over a week!

In a week I'm due to be 1600 miles from here to catch a plane!

So I had someone suggest I look for vacuum leaks, I found one but it made precious little difference. I let the choke go on again, it still popped and banged!

I'm thinking it might be something electrical... any suggestions, I am in dire straights here in Montana and need whatever help anyone can offer.