Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

Rice Mopar Power for the Javelin

Hi guys, well I came across a running 318/904 out of a 74 Duster for dirt cheep, so it's going in to the Javelin for now. Since I've got to put a truck pan on it to clear the cross-member, and I've been told the the timing chain is the week link, I'm going to change it as well. I'm been thinking about putting a 340 cam in it as well. No headers, just manifolds with a Cam-Am dual exhaust. Is this just throwing good to bad? This engine will get it on the road while I work on finding a hotter combination. I would like to latter on go with my 833 OD, but it going to take a while to find the pedal assembly, not to mention the bell-housing for it. I was going to go with a 383, but finding a cheap bell housing is going to be very hard. I'll post picture when the project starts in the next week or two.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 AM

I've noticed a few old Javelins and AMX's coming up for sale at very reasonable prices and am very interested in how this swap goes. I've often said in here that I think the 318 has been sadly overlooked as hotrod swapping material. It's hard to ignore the brute horsepower of a big block, but for a runner on the street, a warmed up 318 is dependable, gets good fuel mileage, keeps the front end balanced and there's no reason why it can't be a respectable performer.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

That's what I'm hoping for in the meantime. Who knows, I might just stick with a small block, and work out a trade with the 383 I have. I just want to get it up and running. I've got quite a bit of body work to get done, but that can wait till next spring when it starts to warm back up. I don't do cold weather due to all the bone damage I have from the cancer. I have a friend whose going to help get it up and going. I have a go-cart that his grand kids just love, so we have a little deal going on here!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Sorry that I've been away for a while. I've been doing radiation treatment and am on a new chemo working up to my 2nd stem cell transplant coming here in a month or two. Anyways, The 318/904 is now in the Javelin. I will be taking pictures tomorrow. It fits great, and was a true bolt in! Just had to modify some 318 truck brackets and used 72' rubber truck mounts in-between the crossmember and the modified truck brackets. It sits so low in the chassis that you can't see the engine from the drivers seat. The pan isn't scraping on the ground, it has plenty of ground clearance, and there's even room around the steering shaft. The steering linkage doesn't hit the pan, and the tranny is sitting in it's stock location more or less as well. I think it's going to come out really nice! I forgot to mention that I put a Hughes HE 0914 AL camshaft in it with a double roller timing set. It's got a performer 318/360 intake on it as well. So I think it should be OK for the street, till I can get some funds to build a hotter engine. It's still running the 74' heads with stock valves. A set of 302 casting numbers heads I hear would help it on the top end, but I'm not sure if it's going to get "built". It's main purpose is to get the car on the road for now. I still have many other things to do on the car, before it's time for another motor.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Good to see you're still fighting that dreaded enemy, David...

I would think most benefit would come from sticking with the low-down torque of the engine rather than pursuing higher revs.

Did you find a bellhousing yet for your A833? And is your A833 an A or F-body version or a longer B, C or E-body? Overdrive or direct top gear?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Inactive User

Here is a picture or two. The 833 is a OD unit and it's right around 27" long. It has twin shifter mounts way back near the seal and another that near the front of the extension housing. I'm thinking that it's a B-E body unit, but I'm not sure. I haven't found a bellhousing yet, but I haven't been trying to hard either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 507.jpg (107.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 505.jpg (114.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

Got the exhaust 2/3 of the way today. Also spent/wasted a ton of time at a local boneyard. The owner once he found out what I was working on, wouldn't leave me alone! He kept bugging me to sell him the car, and he hadn't even seen it yet! I'm thinking it's not like I have a E body or something! That said, it would take a E body to pry it out of my hands! And we know that ain't happening, so I wish he would have left me alone. No biggie however.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 AM

Yes, that's a B, C or E-body length, so it will require a different driveshaft to the one on the 904...

With the overdrive, I'd be even more keen to keep the torque band down low, otherwise you'll be forever dropping back to third gear to get some grunt.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

I've been told that the Hughes HE 0914 AL camshaft should be perfect for the street. The driveshaft shouldn't be a issue as I'll just shorten it. They are very easy to do if you can weld. The hardest part is marking and keeping them in phase. I shortened my first one on the garage floor. A friend of mine had a Twister Duster with a 318, 340 camshaft, with the 833 OD, and it was super fun to drive. In fact, he won a burnout competition in Denver Winternationals one year with that combo!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Inactive User

Managed to get the power steering pump Bracket made up today(well it was yesterday really, on Friday), just need to figure out the lines. Haven't settled on a radiator yet, but I do have one that I could use if I modify the radiator support a small amount. I would much rather use a A-body one if I can find it as it will drop right in (it's the same size as the Javelin, but with the outlets where I need them, as the AMC motor water pump dumps on the other side than a 318).
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Inactive User

Earlier 318/273 water pumps had the lower hose on the left side, not sure which year they changed. My 69 Valiant 273 had it on the left (drivers side).

May be easier to change water pumps and use your Javelin rad?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Inactive User

I did not know this. I will diffidently will check into it check into it. The radiator I have is out of a C body I believe. It's almost a full 6" taller than a Javelin one, and about 1 1/2" wider, but I think I can make it fit without a full butcher job. Having the outlet on the driver side has it's own issues however with the steering box as far forward as it is. If I move the radiator up against the radiator support, it should fit fine, although I will need to trim that 1 1/2" off the mounting flange, and poke new mounting holes. I will check into replacing the pump, just so I don't need to move the neck to the other side! Thank you for that info!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

You're welcome.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

We're working on the tranny lines now. Driveshaft is in, exhaust is done, alternator is in, power steering pump is in, the belts are on, and I welded up and new shift rod. The throttle linkage is hooked up, and so is the kick down linkage. I've decided that a radiator out of a 91'/92' Dakota will fit the best. I'll have to make up some lower mounts, but thats no big deal. After that it just running the fuel line across the crossmember to the fuel pump, hoses and fluid. Can't wait to hear it, and break in the new lifters!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Sounds like a great project...keep the pics coming!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

I'll try to snap some more here in a day or two. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Well we broke in the cam, and did a fair amount adjusting to the timing, carb, etc. It lives, although I can't say I'm happy about the oil press at warm idle 10-12 psi. It does go to 40-45 when warm, so as low as it doesn't go any lower, I think it will live for now. I'm using Auto Zone 10-40w, so It just I could always run 20-50 racing. Might add a couple of psi. That's at 190 degrees. As promised here are so more photo's.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 511.jpg (96.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 519.jpg (115.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 513.jpg (77.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

We're still working the kinks out on the Javelin. Today we got back under it, and fixed the shift linkage. It was hitting the kickdown linkage. In other words if you jumped on it, it would automatically kick it out of gear! Now when you jump on it it will lay down rubber! It pulls strong for such a small motor. I think I will like it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 PM

Lookin good.... I think it would look good in a nice dark blood red metallic.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

It would, but I'm thinking of going back with the Trans Am Red that it came with. I'm not settled on that for sure. We'll see, it might happen as I do agree with you!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Did a little bumper reinforcement, and finally got the interior(what was left of it) out of the car. Changed out a leaky water pump, and put on the lower front panel. Traded what was left of the ram air hood for a flat one. That saved me about 40-50 hours right there. I happen to like a flat hood better on this body style anyhow.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture582.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture586.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture583.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Picture581.jpg
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 PM

Sweet...I agree with the flat hood too. Thought about lowering the front suspension a little? Is that a 52 DeSoto hardtop in your driveway? Man...all I've got in my driveway right now is mud and snow!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Sweet...I agree with the flat hood too. Thought about lowering the front suspension a little? Is that a 52 De Soto hardtop in your driveway? Man...all I've got in my driveway right now is mud and snow!
Yes as a matter of fact that's the next thing to get done. I'm planing on dropping it 3"-4". I'm just going to cut the coils. No heat! The De Soto is a 52 Sportsman, even more rare than a two door. It's one of 13 known to exist according to the De Soto Club of America. It's not my driveway but a friends on the other side of town. I'm hoping to bring the Javelin home soon. Having mud and snow in the drive could mean that you live in the mountains!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Nope...Canadian prairies are just having a very late spring. This time last year we had all the wheat seeded... this year we still can't move. You're going to have a couple of very cool cars there... keep at it!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Ahh... to be up to your knees in the mud of Manitoba...

You must generally harvest fairly early there. Around Narrabri and Moree, Walgett and Burren Junction they are harvesting about mid-October usually. That's where I scored the 318 Poly from the old combine.

But further south, harvest runs into late December.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM

In an average year most of the harvesting here is done in Aug/Sept, but probably Sept /Oct this year. Some late crops like corn might take us into Nov. or even Dec, but by then we're driving through snow usually. Little more incentive towards me getting my heated shop before I'm too old to use it.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 PM

At least you'll be well fed and warm in there... if the season's been good...

I suspect you have a few good years left!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

Finally got the Javelin home a few days ago. I drove it while a friend followed me very closely in my truck being that I had no brake lights. We took all the backs roads. It was hard to resist the temptation to get on it and see what it would do. At the speed we were going (about 35mph) it felt like it was idling! There was/are some bushings in the front end that need to free up as I was beat to death on the way over and it was not from cutting a coil off the springs either (I know that makes the spring stiffer). On the last big bump near my house it started to ride a whole lot better. We did grease the whole front end, so it's not dry. I figure that with it sitting outside with no drive-line, and no hood, the front end froze up in the topped out position, and will take some driving to get it to completely free back up. I plan on replacing the bushings after my up coming stem cell transplant here in June.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Lookin better all the time. You're gettin this done between treatments? You know you're making the rest of us look bad, right? On a more serious note...good luck with the treatments.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Yes, Monday is the day I get/take 3 different chemo's so Tuesday really sucks. Wednesday I'm in Albuquerque helping my adopted Mom with shopping and little things that help her be able to stay in her home. Then on Thursday I get a 2nd dose of my primary chemo, so Friday sucks as well. I have a little bit of strength and energy on the weekend. I've learned to do projects in little stages, and they'll still get done as long as you do a little as you are able. I try to get up from behind the puter from time to time and keep busy with easy things to do. When my ex was working at a health care place she discovered that when most people discover that they have cancer, they just give up and are gone within a year. While I sometimes can't wait to get to the other side, there are things here that I'd still like to do and or experience, so I'm not giving up just yet!