Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-19-2000, 02:39 PM
Inactive User

Cool

My first car was a 1965 coronet 500 w/383 4spd, wish I could find one now. Since I've owned:
69 340 Swinger
70 340 Swinger
67 Barracuda
70 Duster
Present 69 Barracuda Formula S 340 auto (Restored)
Old 04-19-2000, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

My wife got a look at this thread and reminded me about her first Mopar. It was called the "Blue Bomber", a blue and primer '68 Dart. Basically held together with bobbie pins and duct tape. For example, the headlites were ducttaped in,the front bumper was tied on with a rope. The trunk was sans lock and had to be opened with a screwdriver. Someone had got a wild hair to rewire the dash and left a splendid mess, kinda looked like an airplane with all the Radio Shack toggles to operate everything. Previously owned by a couple of tweakers methinks. But.. when it was winter and noone else could get their cars to start the bomber was always there to jump them. We ended up selling the /6 for $200 so we could buy tickets to go see Jackson Browne. As far as I know that motor is still running around town in a 66 Dodge pickup, now thats what I call recycling, lol... she sez that wasn't the most comical car she had, that one was the 68 Toyota Corona that honked every time she made a right turn (especially embarrassing when driving past the local funeral home!), and once the whole exhaust just fell off, and the bumper also fell off once. The engine was rebuilt twice but never was right, but that doesn't belong on a Mopar web board. cruzerjd
Old 04-19-2000, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

1971 green charger with a worn-out 318 in it; not so worn out that it didn't cost me money I barely had in order to replace the rear tires more than once. The headlight motor didn't work so everytime it got dark, I would have to manually open the lampcovers...what a pain! But oh what a great car...and boy did that dual exhaust put out the best sound a 17 year old could ever hear! There was a 66 Charger for sale on my way home from my girlfriend's house and everyday I would stop, look, and dream...now, after 16 years, I have a 67.
Old 04-19-2000, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Cool

When I was 16 I bought my dad's '68 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible. It had a factory 383 4-barrel with dual exhausts, auto, and posatraction. I used to put the top down, and roll about 10 - 15 MPH in 1st then stand on the gas. I would hit 2nd at about 45 and 3rd at 80. The sound of that 383 and the sensation was undescribable. I switched to a small block A body when the gas crunch hit.
Old 04-19-2000, 07:55 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

1989 dodge dayton(actually my dads) I burned off more pairs of tires on cloverliefs than I care to count.
4 wheel drifts through corners are cool!!
It was a 5-speed and there wasnt a mustang or camareo that could get me off the line in 1st gear or racing stop sign to stop sign. The cops didnt really care what you did as long as you didnt blow a stop sign. The town I grew up in was forested in stop signs.

Max

[This message has been edited by Maxwedge (edited April 19, 2000).]
Old 04-19-2000, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

My first mopar was a 74 318 duster w/4speed
Really a great car I was planning on doing a 440/4 speed swap but the 318 ate a bolt, and blew a head gasket,and since I couldn't fix it my dad insisted that I sell it. raced it all over town I was only beaten once by a hopped up 69 camaro, I wish he could have seen the stock engine under my hood. I only lost to him by half a car and I had 2.71 rear gearsand p195/75/14 tires
Old 04-19-2000, 11:11 PM
Self proclaimed expert

My first, Almost as good as my other "first" was a 92Dakota regular cab shortbed V6 LE with heavy duty suspension. It was two tone Deep blue with bright silver sides and the Reddest pinstripe I've ever seen. The dealer got all their trucks without striping and had someone come in and do the striping for them. The guy just looked at the truck and picked a color, no input from the dealer, they just turned him loose on the lot. Anyways, I got a toolbox on it and the dealer painted it blue instead of silver so I made them repaint it and they did the repaint the right way so it had about an 1/8 inch of paint on it. I have never seen another Dakota like it. The same dealer sold one with the same paint in extended cab. They had a policy of not selling two Identical trucks unless the customer ordered it that way.

Since then I got a junk 69 Barracuda that will get tubbed and turned into a street monster. I also got my 98 SS/T this year.

I buy MOPARs but I refuse to sell them. In the words of Daffy Duck,"MINE MINE all mine!!!"
Old 04-19-2000, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

My first car was a 69 charger rt. Nothing special, virtually no options. I bought it because I needed a car when I joined the Marines. Bought it in Oregon with 100,000 hard miles on it. Never worried about it being stolen because nobody but me could ever get the thing started (car needed new EVERYTHING but was very straight and original). Drove it twice across the country, and have driven it nearly every day since I bought it. Rebuilt the motor, threw a six pack on it, and have driven nothing but Mopars ever since! In spite of me learning literally everything I know about cars from it, it has NEVER let me down, and NEVER left me stranded. I do get beat by my buddies in their (worked) 340 A-bodies, but that's better than a chevelle or something. Since being stationed in Sacramento, my mopar addiction has been fueled by dirt cheap cars (how does $900 for a rust free 1970 440-6 4spd shaker 'cuda missing the motor sound?) and a (now filled) RV access.
Semper Fi
Old 04-20-2000, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

Well,
This wasn't my first MoPar but its the one what cured me from ever seeing anything in the curves of a chevy body panel.
It was a SubLime Green '71 GTX. All the goodies, AirGRABBER, 440 4spd, Dana60 4:10 gear. It was for sale and I was In LOVE.
I had never seen anything like it and I HAD to have it. $2000. Now that seems laughable to think that for only 2k I could have owned that thing. But this was 1985 and I was 19. Two grand seemed like 2 million. I begged my dad to help me somehow. He wouldn't, he was afraid that I would become a minace to society with a car like that. (I would have made my presence known
I never was able to get the cash up. The sickening thing was to see a redneck type guy buy it and trash it completely street racing. NOW believe me when I say this; THIS CAR WAS CHERRY. It looked like new inside and out. The owner had to sell it because his wife was expecting and they needed the money.
Well, I spotted the car a couple years later at a 'run what you brung' drag meet. It looked sick. It was all beat up; passenger door bashed in, all scratched up, front valence panel bashed in like he ran up on a high curb or something, interior all nasty. I had to turn my back and walk away.
My FIRST MOPAR was a Plum Crazy purple 70 GTX. It was worn, it was rusty, but it was mine. But ohhh that '71; it was sweet.
Old 04-21-2000, 08:40 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

October 1968
Fresh out of 'Nam
'69 Road Runner
383 4-speed 3:55 gears
Fire Bronze Metalic
Tan Vinal Top
Bought it new from Pioneer Chrysler/Plymouth in Flint, Michigan. Salesman was Al
Bennett. Put 1500 miles on it the first 10 days I owned it and never missed work. I drove the hell out of that car for 14 months. A couple of things went sour in my personal life and I sold it, climbed on my old Harley and did the Easy Rider thing for a bit over a year. Eventually sold the old Harley, too.
Damn Fool!
Didn't do much with cars for a long time except build a few engines for others. Rode a mid 9 second Harley drag bike for 3 years when I wasn't trying to drink myself to death.
Damn near made it, too.
Clean and sober goin' on 18 years now.
Why Mopar? Well, with out going into detail, you can say its a family thing. My Grandfather and Walt Chrysler were very good friends until Walt died in 1940 (?).
Current Mopars....Wifes 1999 Intrepid and my '66 Belvedere HT work in progress.

------------------
The Old Hippie Hisself
Ohippier@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Old hippie (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old 04-21-2000, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

Now ain't that "Ole Hippie" a piece of work!
I keep telling him he should write books or @ least short stories.

How about a '64 Plymouth Fury with a 426W in it and 727 push-button auto. Noth'in faster shift'in than one of these.

I still don't understand the thinking @ Chrysler Co. though, as to why anyone with even a pea brain would put an "open" rear end chuck in a car like this!!! I think it was a 3.23 to 1 ratio. Talk 'bout bak'in the right rear!

Had a lot of fun w/ that car for ~ 2 years, street racing and performing "smoke shows" while holding the rear end out going around the rotary on main street!

Blew off a BB FORD product on top-end one time go'in north on 495 in Massachusetts. Somewhere above 120 I waived "good by" and pulled away!

Like a lot of us "boys with toys", ya either sell 'em cause ya need the money to get married, or ya hang onto 'em for a while 'till the wife gets pregnant and ya gotta sell it cause ya need money for the baby! Ain't this story ever gonna end!? Ain't we eva gonna learn that sooner or later you end up with no toy, no wife and empty pockets!
Been there, done it. DON'T sell your toy for either reason - it just ain't worth it.
Done preach'in!

Now I'm gonna make ya all jealous and tell ya that in June of this year I'm gonna have the undisputed privledge of meeting in person the one and only "the Old Hippie hisself!"
He and I grew up ( that's debatable!) during the same era, but in different parts of the US of A. We will talk car-war-stories like the rest of ya wish you could!

Now I liked and missed that '64 so bad, I just went out and bought me another one. This one will have a 413 in it though, but will out perform that old 426 when I'm finished w/ it.
And yes, it will have a sure-grip rear axle in it too!

You "ole Hippie", I can hardly wait 'till June!

Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Reardon (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old 04-21-2000, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

Wink

1) It did not have anything to do with, uhhhh, gonads when I rode that Harley. It had to do with being either crazy or stupid and likely a healthy dose of both. It also had to do with being half loaded most of the time for about 10 years. Large ammounts of hooch and drugs along with a Kamakazi attitude are not a good place to put your head at. Thats a soap box I will preach from every chance I get. Take heed brothers and sisters. I have been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, and posed for the Poster. It is someplace you don't want to go.
2) Reardon has got his termonology messed up. The honor should be Dubious, not Undisputed. Two old fart Mopar freaks getting to gether with a combined mentality of oh 12 or 13 is not a good thing for the greater metropoliton Phoenix area. Should be REAL intresting.
Later.....

------------------
The Old Hippie Hisself
Ohippier@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Old hippie (edited April 21, 2000).]
Old 04-22-2000, 01:24 AM
Inactive User

I had to laugh at the last company picnic when I drove my '69 Coronet Alot of the guysgather around and started drooling. As I eased the hood back down one of the guys started talking how he was itching to get back into playing with hot cars; then he suddenly when quite. His wife knuckled him in the ribs!
Old 04-22-2000, 03:57 AM

My first car was a Mopar, bought it back in 1975. Had it for 6 months before getting my license. It was a 1968 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible, stock with a 383 G-code engine. It was only the 2bbl engine, but at 16 years old I thought it was fast. I knew it was cool. The girl's loved going for rides in it.
I bought the car from one of my uncle's, he sold it to me for $300.00! He even installed chrome reverse wheels with white letter wide oval's...anyone remember those?
I got stupid about a year latter and traded it for a 1968 Pontiac Firebird Convertible, it had the Ram Air lll 400 with a 4spd. Less than a year later I blew the engine racing and sold the car. I went back to Mopar's for good after that. I still to this day thank my uncle for selling me that car, not to mention selling me my first motorcycle. 25 years later and I still own Mopar's...and a Harley.

Almost forgot, the production numbers for a 1968 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible...792 total units made. If only I knew then.......

Later,
Jeff
Old 04-22-2000, 09:08 AM
Inactive User

Cool

My first one? In 1977 my sister bought me a '65 Plymouth Fury w/ 318 for $750. What a great car. Since then a '79 Plymouth Horizon, '66 Chrysler New Yorker w/ 440 (wished I would have kept that one), '85 Lancer ES, '87 Dakota, '90 Spirit, '91 Dakota, '94 Neon, '98 Caravan, '99 Ram.

I betcha Lee Iacocca hadn't owned that many mopars.
Old 04-22-2000, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Back in the late 60's my oldest brother had a 64 Coronet440(body code) with a 383 and pushbutton automatic. Man what a bad ride that was!
I was only about 6 years old ,but I always remembered that car.
Later, when I was almost ready to get my license,I bought a 72 Cheveelle.(Sorry guys) I bought it because in all the car mags I only saw chevys.
My second car was a 69 Camaro(sorry again) and I really ran the wheels off of it. I bought it back in 80 when I was a junior in high school.
My third car was a 70 Dodge Challenger which as it turned out,, I bought from my oldest brother. He had always liked Mopars and had several over the years.
I bought it back in 82 and when I finished it and started driving it,,,the people went crazy. I guess because they never saw many Mopars around here.
When I first started working on the car,,,I cussed it something terrible. Everything was different than what I was used to. After a while a came to respect the engineering and admire the quality of Dodge. Some very intelligent, well educated men designed these cars, and I am glad they did.
Anyway,,,,all of my cars have been sold now,,except one. Guess which one I kept,,,You guessed it ,,my Challenger.
Mopar all the way,,,keep the flags a flying.

Tommy
Old 04-22-2000, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Good Point Tommy1
The engineers at Chrysler were definately inovative and where the type that thought 'outside the box'.
Those minds produced the Hemi engine which is still the hottest race engine around.
If you examine the specs on engine efficency and just 'nailing it' as far as producing efficency, reliability and of course power; Chyrsler was unmatched. You can still take a MoPar engine, and the compairable Chevy and Ford and build each one with the same target HP/torque goal, the MoPar will produce more HP,torque and reliability for less money invested.
(Hot Rod magazine has done that very thing a couple times; MoPar always wins, but they will still choose a Chevy)
Brand loyality isn't usually based on which is actually best, but what you are more comfortable with.
Old 04-23-2000, 01:26 AM
Inactive User

Cool

My first Mopar was a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S. It had the solid lifter 273 "Power Pack" engine". Small 4 barrel Carter. 904 auto and a teeny 7.25 rearend.

It was red with a white half vinyl top (factory). Lot of rear window in that car.

Bought it May 3, 1973 for $100.00 Canadian and towed it home with my dad's 318 1972 Dart. It wouldn't crank because of a bent pushrod.

Being young and foolish, I didn't know what I had and barbarized the car with a 340 and 4 spd and 8.75, etc. I had a lot of fun with it and raced it a bit. Hit a moose late at night one time and went off the road backwards at high speed. Rolled over 3 or 4 times and never broke the back glass. Fixed it after that and kept it for a few more years. It eventually rusted out and was discarded for a 74 Cuda with a swapped in 440 6 pack, 4 spd and 8.75 with 3.91 gears. That was a fun car,too.

By the way, the VIN of the 66 Cuda was BP29D62573. I still have the bill of sale. Check out the codes and you'll see that this would be a rare piece today if it were still around. Oh well, like they say, "Youth is mostly wasted on the young".

Old 04-23-2000, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

My first mopar is a 1970 Plymouth Duster with a 318 and Automatic
Old 04-23-2000, 07:23 PM

My first Mopar was a 1975 Plymouth Fury 4 door. 318, a/c, automatic, and a 2.71 8-1/4" rear. A regular family car. I got it in Colorado when I was in the Army from a guy who brought it there from Florida. The car ran pretty good, although I had to learn the hard way about what happens when the ECU goes bad! (It ran good 5 minutes ago, now it won't start). Drove it around for a year and a half. Also learned about what it feels like with unbalanced tires at anything over 60 mph. Fixed that problem quickly. It led to another Mopar, then another, and now, 11 years later, and some 20 Mopars or so, here I am, a self-taught die hard Mopar fanatic.
Old 04-24-2000, 01:31 AM
Inactive User

'74 RR 318 Auto 3 shades of yellow/black stripes w/blk interior. i thought it was cool to roll backwards downhill in neutral, stomp the gas and drop it into gear. the front end would lift and i was a drag racer!! My dad said the drivetrain would give out but i didn't give it a chance. lost the motor exactly one week after purchase after neglecting to notice that the oil guage was steady going down all week. Took six months to save for another motor. drove that one for 6 months (watching the oil pressure) then fell asleep one night and bit a ditch about the same place my father lost his '69 RR. Let my dad talk me into junking it and it got crushed before i got out of the service. the hood is on a satellite in the same town. that was '83 that car taught me alot about control on gravel roads and that girls like cars with nicknames- BumbleBee
Old 04-24-2000, 03:04 AM
Inactive User

In small North Carolina towns a Mopar is called "Dominecker" (sp) Why..I dont know. An yes..I said real small towns. The kind you can hold your breath as you go all the way thru downtown. But my first Dominecker was a 1947 Dodge somthing . Just like the one that "Lucky" Lee Lott used to smash into brand X cars as a stunt driver back in the early years. Well "Lucky" Mutt29 lost a wheel the 2nd day of ownership an rolled it off a mountainside in N.C. where it has been since 1975. I still have all the hardware like ..lights,window cranks,rearview mirror,seats an so on. The wife calls me a packrat. I say NO WAY..its Mopar stuff !!!
Mutt29

Old 04-24-2000, 04:36 AM
Inactive User

This is what I have now
Old 04-24-2000, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

My first Mopar was a '95 5 speed rasberry pearlcoat ES Shadow 2 dr. I bought her brand spankin' new, still with plastic on the seats. It was motivated by the v6 and was a tire smoker through 2nd, and chirped into 3rd...But my wife hated the 2 doors and the stick...So then entered my second Mopar 11 months later, a '95 Neon that had a whopping 27 miles on it when we bought her in Bay City. It now has 140,000 ticks on the dial and my wife still drives it every day. This year I got a Mopar for me! '98 Club Cab Dakota R/T...I love it so far, and by the looks of it the tire store is gonna love it too! That R/T is a tire liquifying nightmare. But not one Chevy or Ford truck in town (Havnt met the supercharged Lightning) have got the best of me in this beast yet! God it makes me feel like a teen again! LOVE MOPARS

Jeff
Old 04-25-2000, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

Mine was a 69 Coronet R/T 440 Magnum. Man what a car. Bought her in 78, ran it hard for 2 years then had the engine and body/paint done. Drove her for about a month, one day while at work some @#$holes stole and stripped it down to the shell, wahhh cried for a month.
Old 04-25-2000, 08:43 PM
Inactive User

<dd>Heh, my first Mopar was a pea-green four-door '72 Plymouth Satellite. Powered by a Slant-6, it was *nasty*, and I was basically doomed to drive that car forever -- I hated that car. No stereo for over two years (looking back on that, I cannot believe I never put even a cheapo head unit in the thing). I put air shocks on the rear and bought four black 15" steel cop-car rims. At that point, she looked mean, even tho' she was mule-dumb and the second slowest car in school. Overall, an absolute *tank*.

<dd>She died when some buds of mine and I hit a curb at 40+ mph. After we brought her to a halt, she limped back home, mortally wounded... the wrecker came for her the next day. *Sigh*

<dd>- novicius -
Old 04-25-2000, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

Im restoring a 1970 Challenger with a 383 Magnum right now, not only is it my first mopar but its my first car!
-Mike
Old 04-25-2000, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Cool

My first mopar was a 67'dart GT with a six, hard top and factory air. I traded it for a rifle. I've since restored the car as best as I could over about two years. I then sold it to a local collector who has since been diagnosed with a disease that has sadly left him unable to drive. I am curently helpin my brother with his 68' GT with a 340 that we've built togeather and was dynoed @ 414HP
Were expecting it to move pretty good.

Stubby.
Old 04-26-2000, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

My first car was what I have now. A 1970 Charger 500 with a 318. It had a few more options than the one I have now. I bought it from an old lady who lived in West Babylon N.Y in 1982. It ran on 7 cylinders from a chip in one the valves. Every since then I loved mopars.
Old 05-02-2000, 07:50 PM
Inactive User

My first Mopar: 1966 Plymouth Fury hardtop.
318 Poly motor, three on the tree, power steering& brakes, AC, sure grip( don't remember the ratio), quarter panels made of Bondo, trunk floor rivited in. I paid 200 bucks for it and drove it for 30,000 miles. Sold it to a co-worker at the dealership I worked at for 600 bucks. Even beaters appreciate in value.