Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

Default VW Cheats

The VW diesel scandal has been a hot topic for a while now, but I haven't seen any comment on this site. I wouldn't normally care too much, as I don't think much of VW's. But the fact that they went out of their way to write software that would enable a non-conforming vehicle to pass an emissions test and then revert to a big-time polluter in normal service angers me deeply. That has been in effect for 7 model years. Half a million cars in the US and 11 million worldwide.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Big ho-hum for me; American manufacturers have been cheating on emissions certifications since the beginning of the requirements albeit on a much smaller scale.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Inactive User

Cheating has always been part of the fun in Nascar. And that's ok for Americans, but who invited the Germans?
Seriously, testing by a group that had set out to document how clean the VW diesels are found that these engines are polluting on a massive scale. VW claimed they had developed a clean diesel that was not only clean but developed good power also. It turns out that the design is way off. So they devised a way to cheat, but actually far worse than simple cheating. They wrote software that made the engines run very differently during testing.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 PM

Although I never was a "VW fan" I always liked the TDI diesel for its near 50 mpg. A friend of mine has one & typically gets 47 mpg. He loves it & says he plans to keep it til it wears out.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:33 PM

that's why the dodge cummins had to go to the 6.7

really glad I got a 5.9
Old 11-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Inactive User

Is the 5.9 a much better motor than the newer version?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 AM

well in brief it doesn't have the epa stuff on it
Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

So, you don't have to pee in it?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

5.9 all the way. The new stuff is beyond restricted.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Inactive User

5.9 all the way. The new stuff is beyond restricted.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

The 6.7 is using what is the same or basically the same technology as Mercedes is using for their diesels. I think it was developed when MB owned mopar. It may actually be ok. Same technology that vw was supposed to buy from MB but then backed out to use an engine that in no way could pass regs in the US.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Inactive User

VW is still lying and cheating. The proposal they made to CARB that they said would fix the diesels won't work. CARB is smart enough to see that. My belief is that there is no way to fix this without changing the motor and the entire emissions control. That motor wasn't designed in the first place to run clean. And it looks like VW is getting away with something in Europe. Their "fix" is a plastic screen placed just before the mass air flow sensor. This, VW says, eliminates "turbulence" in the incoming air stream and thereby makes the engine clean. That is a joke. No way, in my estimation, that could have the desired effect. But the European authorities have accepted it. Who's paying off who?
These motors do get great gas mileage but emit up to 40 times the allowed limit of NOx. But there are other disadvantages to this motor. Several owners have reported oil pump drive failures at just over 100K miles, with, of course, disastrous effect. A new engine is about six grand. You can buy a lot of gas for six grand. Also, the the particulate filter often fails and is super expensive to service. Doesn't look like a very cost effective option and it pollutes.